[mythtv-users] Browser Player for Mythweb (using MPEG DASH packaging)

Daniel Frey dmfrey at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 22:38:56 UTC 2017

I will have to play with it.  From the app standpoint, I just need to point
the connected Chromecast to the URL of the DASH stream. The player is just
an HTML5 <video> tag that loads and plays the stream (along with a few
javascript functions to handle controls). I think it would be more of
checking that the transcoding results are playable, not necessarily the
player working on the Chromecast.  However, since the Cast Receiver is just
html and javascript, I don't see why it too couldn't also be used.

I did just run into an issue last week where the regular HLS transcode,
initiated by the app through the Services API produced a stream that
crashed the Chromecast while playing.  I am not sure if it is an issue with
the stream or connectivity.  However, when connectivity comes becomes an
issue, it tends to just spin until it fixes itself. This is only for
recordings, videos already transcoded to the right format don't cause
this.  I should say I mostly cast recordings (and sometimes videos) when I
am travelling in my hotel room.  It usually works well until a random one
crashes the Chromecast and it has to reboot itself.