[mythtv-users] HVR-950q analog/NTSC capture has no sound

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Feb 9 23:17:36 UTC 2017

Success! I ran make menuconfig and selected snd-usb-audio to be compiled
as a module. Then I ran make (actually make -j3, as recommended by the
Gentoo manual, since this is a dual-core system), then make
modules_install (didn't copy the resulting kernel anywhere since I'm using
the running kernel's sources). That got me the module I needed, which I
then modprobed.

I first tried cvlc, which didn't really work (would only give me about 1
or 2 seconds of audio to go along with the captured video, after which the
audio would unceremoniously stop while the video continued). Next, I tried
to reconfigure audio under capture cards in mythtv-setup. I noted from the
thread referenced earlier that the correct syntax for specifying the audio
output of this second HVR-950q is ALSA:hw:2,0. Once I'd entered that
information I got both video and sound, and with a little tweaking in the
channel editor, created a pseudo-channel associated with the device which
I can use to schedule recordings.

Additional thoughts. I ended up with a /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2 after
having modprobed snd-usb-audio. I note that using /dev/dsp2 also works to
enable analog audio to go along with the video. Perhaps that's because I
had earlier compiled snd-pcm-oss into the kernel (not sure why I made that
choice at the time)?

Since I have 2 of these devices I'll probably be creating a udev rule or
maybe will put together an ALSA config file that will cause them to be
brought up under consistent names when I will be needing to reboot.

Again, thanks to all contributors for the input.