[mythtv-users] Support via email group versus forum??

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Feb 7 15:05:26 UTC 2017

Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> But to continue the discussion, it's any sort of forum where the owner
> is trying to use advertising to make some money from the participation
> in the forum.

Fair enough - vote with your mouse and don't use a forum you don't like. Or if you feel you *must* use it, then use an ad blocker ...

> But my adblocker seems to be working there.  :-)

Oh, you are - so what's the issue ?

>> I've been on mailing lists where every list message comes with
>> advertising attached.
>
> An advertisement that could contain, or redirect you to malware?

Why not ? It's something delivered into your mailbox, it probably contains links, it may well (especially for people who actually render HTML in their email) fetch or include images. Certainly scope for malware in that lot.

>> But the email feature you describe is actually very useful **as a
>> forum feature**. It is not, and I assume never ha been, intended as a
>> substitute for using the forum - it's a convenience tool that makes
>> using a forum much more useful (especially low traffic ones).
>
> No.  When it comes along with a statement that says (more or less)
> "Even though you know what the forum post says and you have no interest
> in it or responding to it, you must still now visit the forum in order
> to continue to get messages/threads e-mailed to you, so, you know, we
> can keep our click count up and use that to raise the price of our

I think you are attributing to malice ...

> If I can get an e-mail that tells me what new postings say, and only
> choose to visit the forum when there is a message I am interested in,
> and that continues to happen until I unsubscribe from the thread, that
> is good.  But when I have to visit the forum after every single e-mail
> just to continue to get new messages e-mailed to me, that is click-
> count-driving.

Have you checks the settings ? The defaults may not be to your liking, but forum software tends to offer some fairly flexible notification options. I can't check now while I'm at work, but some of the forums I use do in fact send an email for each posting. If you have not customised your settings, then you have no grounds to complain.
IFF you have done so but there aren't settings for what you want, only then do you have any grounds for complaint.