[mythtv-users] Artifacts using nvidia 375.26?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Feb 7 10:39:04 UTC 2017

On 07/02/17 01:17, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:08 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It suddenly occurred to me that I'd just recently updated to
>>> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-375.26 from 361.28. Sure enough, reverting
>>> to 361.28 appears to have fixed it completely.
>>
>> Just an update on this. It appears I was mistaken. After using this
>> with the older driver I'm having the same issues. Also, I can't
>> reproduce this on the TV with a stand-alone HD tuner I have, which
>> leads me to believe the nvidia card itself may be going.
>>
>> Tom
>
> Just an update for anyone who runs into this thread later: My TV was
> tricking me here in that I never encountered the issues when I
> switched over to a standalone HD tuner I had. This lead me to believe
> it wasn't the TV. However I *finally* saw these same symptoms using
> that tuner indicating that the TV itself was/is going.
>
> Oddly enough, that got worse over several days and suddenly started
> working perfectly, and has stayed that way for 4 days now. I don't
> have high hopes that reprieve will last though...I've been TV
> shopping.

It might be the power supply in the TV itself. Our 32" Hitachi went some years back and I promptly
went out and bought what looked like a good enough replacement, a 32" Samsung. Unfortunately, it was
a lemon, although 'good enough' to make do.

I did some research on the Internet and found a supplier for the PSU card; as they usually supplied
trades they wanted to know if I was capable of doing the replacement, I was. It came in the post, I
unscrewed the old card and screwed in the new card, job done!

5+ years later, we're still using the Hitachi and it shows no signs of failing. No so-called 'smart
TV' for us, thank you!

It does require you to take the back off the TV and look at the boards within. I believe you can
even find repair documentation on-line these days.

--

Mike Perkins