[mythtv-users] Frontend Raspberry Pi setup issues

Stephen Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 05:42:45 UTC 2017

There are sparse few things to run as root. User processes, such as
MythTV need not apply.
Updates, yes. Configuration of the OS, yes.
Pretty much everything else, not really.
Hence, the reason for su.

Security starts with trusting no one at all, especially oneself.
Hence, why Windows idiots us SID: S-1-5-21domain-500 to work with a
domain, while people with a mind disable that account and have special
accounts to perform privileged purposes.

/rant off

On 2/3/17, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 02/03/2017 08:19 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:

>>> Sorry for the delay responding.  I had to do actual work, which kept me
>>> from this.  So I found a couple of things.  This is from the beginning of
>>> the output from the mythfrontend running on RPi
>>>
>>> 2017-02-03 16:02:39.088872 N  Using configuration directory =
>>> /root/.mythtv
>>> 2017-02-03 16:02:39.089151 I  Assumed character encoding: en_US.UTF-8
>>> 2017-02-03 16:02:39.094823 E  DBHostName is not set in config.xml
>>> 2017-02-03 16:02:39.094897 E  DBHostName is not set in config.xml
>>> 2017-02-03 16:02:39.094972 N  Empty LocalHostName.
>>> 2017-02-03 16:02:39.094999 I  Using localhost value of raspberrypi
>>> 2017-02-03 16:02:39.198198 E  [DBManager0] Unable to connect to
>>> database!