[mythtv-users] Comcast Equipment Update

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Fri Feb 3 11:24:51 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:17 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 09/09/2016 01:45 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 09/09/2016 11:51 AM, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
>>
>>> It will be interesting to see what finally comes out of the open set top
>>> box initiative of the FCC. My guess is that set top boxes may be phased out
>>> in favor of apps that run on your favorite streaming device.

>>> At least there will be no set top box rentals.
>>>

>> Exactly.  You'll be able to celebrate your/the FCC's victory over the
>> evil cable monopolies when you get a bill that no longer charges you a STB
>> rental fee.  Of course, that bill will probably be for the same amount as
>> before due to "increased licensing costs" raising the rates for your
>> subscription and/or (just a guess here--not based on any information or
>> rumors) the "app access fee"*** they'll be charging...
>>
>> "How many devices will you use to access your TV service?"
>> "4 iphones, 2 ipads, 3 Rokus, and a smart TV."
>> "OK, the app access fee is $4/device/month, but we give you one device
>> for free, so that's $36/mo.  And don't forget to deregister your old
>> iphones when you upgrade or the new one will be another $4/mo."
>>
>> Wait a minute... Does it seem like the cable companies could contort this
>> idea to make them even more money than STB rentals, or am I just being
>> foolish?
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> *** Of course, their marketing geniuses will be able to come up with
>> better words for it... Something that makes you (or at least most of their
>> customers) feel good about it.
>>

> Well, the FCC's initiative may have failed, but it seems that Comcast was
> inspired by the FCC's idea.
>
> http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/xfinity-tv-app-f
> or-roku-devices-begins-beta-trial
>
> They're offering a beta of their Roku app for their customers, allowing
> them to use the Roku to access their cable TV service.
>
> Note, too, their FAQ:
>
> https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/x
> finity-tv-app-on-roku-faqs
> -----
> Is there a charge for using the XFINITY TV Beta app on Roku?
> Customers will not pay equipment charges with respect to their use of Roku
> devices. All other fees associated with a customer's service will apply,
> except that, during the Beta trial, additional outlet charges for services
> to outlets connected to Roku devices are being waived. On conclusion of the
> trial, you will be informed of the charges that will apply for connecting
> this device with your XFINITY TV service and will have the opportunity to
> opt in.
> -----
>
> So, you won't have to pay any STB rental fee/hardware fee!  However, there
> will be a fee to connect the device to your service.  The amount of the fee
> will be announced at some time in the future.
>
> Corporate America is so predictable.  Or is it just the cable industry?
>
> Then again, my prediction wasn't fully correct.  Since the FCC's
> [...]

Mike,

I am certainly no Comcast defender, but the dev/support people have been
very active in the forums. They have stated that the need to rent one set
top box or CableCard is a technical limitation that they are working to
eliminate. I got the impression that it may be a temporary limitation at
their end. This possibly for authentication or something. I have no idea
really. All of this is a wait and see game.

I posted this in their forums this morning:

"It is never reasonable to charge me again per device to watch content that
I have already paid for in my subscription.

Equipment rental fees are required by design, not by necessity. This makes
them unacceptible. Per customer supplied device (Roku) and per viewing
(number of shows, time or bandwidth) fees are also unacceptible. Maybe a
small streaming option fee per account of up to $5 would be paletable as
this is a new service being provided. Honest to goodness added value.

If they go with the per device fee as expected, then long live CableCard!"

-Tom