[mythtv-users] Keybinding for volume controls

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Thu Dec 28 12:55:47 UTC 2017

Having issues with volume control buttons locking up Mythtv Frontend.  I
have to CTL-ATL-DEL to get back to logging out.  This is on a Ubuntu
16.04 LTS system with mythtv 0.28.

If I use the [ or ] keys the volume changes as expected. However, I'd
like to use the volume-, volume +, and mute buttons on this keyboard
since that is what I used to use for mythtv and still do for all other
programs and system sound functions.

I first noticed this when I added a NVidia GT 710 card to my Core 2 Duo
system to improve the video playback.  I first tried HDMI audio to the
builtin monitor speakers and the system locked up as soon as the volume
buttons were pressed.  Switching to analog audio out for external
speakers now only occasionally locks up, plus I can use the volume
controls on the external speaker amps. so I have a work around.

I need to figure out how to change the keybindings so I can use the
volume buttons on the keyboard instead of [ and ] or retrain myself and
wife not to use the normal keyboard volume control buttons. I'm
concerned about changing buttons that are system wide assigned like the
vol-, vol+, and mute buttons.

Any ideas?

Jim A