[mythtv-users] Alternative to HDPVR

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Wed Dec 27 15:22:35 UTC 2017

On 12/26/2017 01:00 PM, Rajil Saraswat wrote:
> On 12/26/2017 11:08 AM, George Mari wrote:
>> I've been using a TBS2603 for the last 3 or 4 months, with only 1 or 2
>> issues.
>>
>> 1. I only record from it a few times a week.  In the 3 or 4 months
>> I've had it setup and working, I've only had to re-boot/reset it one
>> time.  The web control interface was responsive, but there was no
>> picture being output from the HDMI interface.
>> 2. If you set the TBS2603 to capture at 60 fps (useful for sports or
>> live-action content), the video packets in the stream it generates do
>> not contain any time duration, which I believe MythTV uses to properly
>> display the duration of the recording, and it also affects seeking
>> within the recording.  The recording displays as being twice as long
>> as it actually is, and seeking only goes half the time you expect.
>> (i.e., seeking 30s actually only seeks 15s).  If I understand the
>> explanation I got from someone more familiar with the issue, if the
>> Myth player doesn't see this video packet duration info, it punts and
>> assumes 30 fps, so if you just use the TBS2603 default of
>> encoding/capturing at 30fps, everything works properly, but really
>> it's happening by accident.
>>
>> Otherwise, picture quality is great.
> Couple of questions:
> 1. It seems to support AAC. Have you tested it for multi-channel audio?
No.  I have no interest in multi-channel audio.
> 2. What mode do you have it setup, http/unicast/multicast?
HTTP.  I don't think any other mode will work with the IPTV Recorder in
MythTV, but I could be wrong.
> 3. Does LiveTV work well?
Yes and no.  If you setup the scripts as listed on the wiki article at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IPTV_Encoders_as_a_Capture_Device it should
be reasonable.  I don't think you need to reset the encoder before you
tune a channel, so you could probably remove some of the startup delay.

In my case, I am doing something differnt -  trying to record from
SlingTV on a Roku box, so "tuning" a channel involves shell scripts that
send "arrow" keys in the blind to the Roku UI once Sling TV is loaded.
It's kludgey, messy, and doesn't always work.  I don't use it to watch
LiveTV.

I may setup a separate Roku device outside of MythTV to use for "Live"
Sling TV.