[mythtv-users] Alternative to HDPVR

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue Dec 26 17:08:55 UTC 2017

On 12/26/2017 10:13 AM, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:
> What about a network based capture device, such as the TBS2603?  I
> know the Wiki says it will work, are there any real life experiences
> anyone can share after living with it for a while?  Good, bad, or other?

I've been using a TBS2603 for the last 3 or 4 months, with only 1 or 2
issues.

1. I only record from it a few times a week.  In the 3 or 4 months I've
had it setup and working, I've only had to re-boot/reset it one time.
The web control interface was responsive, but there was no picture being
output from the HDMI interface.
2. If you set the TBS2603 to capture at 60 fps (useful for sports or
live-action content), the video packets in the stream it generates do
not contain any time duration, which I believe MythTV uses to properly
display the duration of the recording, and it also affects seeking
within the recording.  The recording displays as being twice as long as
it actually is, and seeking only goes half the time you expect.  (i.e.,
seeking 30s actually only seeks 15s).  If I understand the explanation I
got from someone more familiar with the issue, if the Myth player
doesn't see this video packet duration info, it punts and assumes 30
fps, so if you just use the TBS2603 default of encoding/capturing at
30fps, everything works properly, but really it's happening by accident.

Otherwise, picture quality is great.