[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 scan fails (0.29)

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 09:56:11 UTC 2017

On 24/12/17 19:22, UB40D wrote:

> On 24 December 2017 at 02:34, UB40D <ub40dd at googlemail.com
> <mailto:ub40dd at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I can' t make much sense of either, but this error in the backend
>     seems damning:
>     DiSEqCDevTree: No root device tree node!
>     What should I do about it?
>     It looks like I'm almost there...
>

> Success!
>
> Having some sleep helps, but mostly it's down to voodoo I'm afraid.
> It' s not 100% working yet but the good news is I am now able to get a
> TV signal (some of the time) and I'm even trying my first recording
> with the redone box as we speak.
>
> What did I do? I googled a bit for the error message above and found
> hints that it was often due to incorrect settings for LNB. So I went
> into mythtv-setup / capture cards, checked the diseq and sure enough
> it was listed as disconnected. Grrr! When I know for sure I had set it
> to LNB before, and saved. This is just voodoo. Anyway, patience. I
> re-entered the LNB settings (mostly defaults) for both adapters.
> Saved. Started the frontend. Watch TV. Nothing. Damn. I thought I was
> so close.
>
> Stopped the backend. Restarted it from a terminal to see the log.
> Started the frontend from a terminal to see its log too. Watch TV. And
> suddenly I got a picture! Wow!!! Voodoo as to why it now worked and
> not before.
>
> Went back into mythtv-setup to check that LNB was still there (you
> never know). It was. Did mythfilldatabase on the way out. Didn' t
> work. Fiddled with things a bit more. Did mythfilldatabase by hand
> from the command line, and it worked. Restarted the frontend from the
> usual icon (not command line). SOME of the time "watch tv" did
> nothing, some other times it showed a picture. Scheduled a recording.
> It did start to record and I could view the started recording. Big
> success. It' s still recordingl that first movie (Pixar' s planes BTW,
> which I was hoping to see for the first time, yay) while I'm writing this
>
> Meanwhile, reattempted "watch tv" (with recording in progress) and it
> failed, meaning it briefly said "please wait"  and then nothing
> happened. Several times. Really voodoo here. Once the recording
> finishes I'll restart frontend and backend from terminal windows to
> look at the logs again and try to nail it down.
>
> Anyway MAJOR PROGRESS since yesterday. Very many thanks to all in this
> thread.

Sometimes LiveTV fails to tune to a channel when the starting channel
has got out of step (if mythtv has trouble tuning it defaults to channel
3, which unless you have changed channel numbers using mythweb, or the
channel editor will not exist in Freesat numbering from a channel scan).

If you go into Program Guide from the main menu, use the up/down arrow
keys to move to a channel and press menu key (default m) you then get a
pop up with some entries amongst which is something like "watch this
channel" just select this and it should tune to the channel, this will
update the starting channel.

Mike