[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 scan fails (0.29)

Jonatan Lindblad mythtv at comhem.se
Sat Dec 23 23:41:49 UTC 2017

Den 2017-12-23 kl. 12:02, skrev UB40D:
> I'm rebuilding a standalone mythtv machine with ubuntu 16.04 LTS and mythtv 0.29.
>
> I successfully imported the database backup from the old machine that had died a few months ago during a software upgrade and that I had never found the time to resurrect.
>
> I would now like to make tv reception work again. I have a Freesat HD (DVB-S2) setup. To be sure, in mythtv-setup I have deleted all capture cards and deleted all video sources. I have then remade the two capture cards of my TBS 6981 dual tuner, I have made an EIT video source and I'm now stuck at the input connections and channel scan phase.
>
> [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0] (DVBInput) -> EIT
>
> scan for channels
>
> tv, unencrypted, video source eit, input /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0, scan type full scan (tuned)
>
> When I get to the "scan type" screen, I fill it up with the parameters for dvb-s2 from the very useful page at http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_freesat.php , which has been my reference for years:
>
> Freq: 10847000
> Polarity: Vertical
> Symbol rate: 23000000
> Mod Sys: DVB-S2
> FEC: 2/3
> Modulation: 8PSK
> Inversion: leave at auto
> Rolloff: leave at 0.35
>
> Now the first glitch: a number of times, when I exit this screen, the settings I just entered are lost, and I can't figure out why.>
> If I exit by "left arrow", then go back in with "right arrow", the settings I entered are still there.
>
> If I exit by "ESC / Save then exit", then go back in with "scan / full scan", then the settings I entered have disappeared, despite me having selected "Save then exit". Uh??? WTF?

The scanning parameters are not saved to the database so the display of the "Save then exit" dialog is a bug.  These parameters weren't saved to the database in 0.28 either, but maybe we should so that you don't have to change them from the default values every time you want to scan.

> I then patiently re-enter the parameters, carefully exit that screen just with left-arrow, go down one item to "scan", press enter, nothing happens for about 10 seconds and then I get a SCANNING screen with "failed to find any channels".
>
> What am I doing wrong? Could it be that my reference page is obsolete and that these frequencies are no longer used? Well, I checked on the BBC's website too and finally found this
> https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf
> which has essentially the same data as above:
>
> DSAT 4
> Astra 2E (28.2° East)
> Transponder 50
> Frequency: 10.84700 GHz
> Vertical polarisation
> Modulation: DVB-S2, 8PSK
> Symbol rate: 23.0 Mbaud
> FEC 2/3
> Transport Stream ID: 2050
>
> What else is the problem? And by the way, why does "save then exit" not save the parameters? Could there be some wrong permissions somewhere, either in the file system or in the database? It is a rebuilt system after all... I was already more than impressed that the old database backup was restored at all notwithstanding having upgraded myth to a newer version.

I don't know, but a few months back someone seemed to be able to scan on DVB-S2, at least when done so through the transport editor, https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13095.

Jonatan