[mythtv-users] converting home movies via mythtv?

William Bixby wbixby at usa.net
Thu Dec 21 01:10:05 UTC 2017

Any chance the original movies are still available.
If so, check out a service to scan the movies to digital tape (DV
format), and make a DVD for you.
Then the movie files you end op with will be in a better resolution.
The VHS format on a DVD looks so terrible compared to today's standards.

My family had lots of 8mm home movies.  My brother and sister put
together a 1 hour reel of scenes that summarized our family for my
parents 40th anniversary.  Back then (1984) it was transferred to VHS
tape, much as your moves were.
About 10 years ago I took the original movies reels and had them
scanned.  The viewing quality is so much better.
I have the DVD that the service created.  I also had a digital movie
camera using DV tapes, so I had the facility to read the DV tape from
the service into the computer (using firewire), which is uncompressed
digital.  Now I can process the movie into a number of formats and
re-dub the music soundtrack that my sister had included.

On 12/20/2017 06:37 PM, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> On 12/20/2017 01:28 PM, Bob Wiegand wrote:
>> For converting files I would use HandBrake rather than Mythtv.
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Jim Abernathy
>> <jfabernathy at outlook.com <mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     i’ve been putting off this task, but maybe it’s time.  I have a
>>     bunch of home movies that originally were on tape and were
>>     converted to DVD years ago.  I then copied the DVDs to my NAS for
>>     safe keeping.  But they are hard to work with in that DVD format.
>>     lots of .VOB files and DVD menu files, etc.  If I could convert
>>     these to mp4 (h.264) files they would be better for storing online
>>     in a safe place.
>>
>>     Any thoughts on the best way to do this.  Are some of the Job’s in
>>     Mythtv good for this??
>>
>>     Jim A
>>

> Of all the suggestions I think Handbrake is the best for my needs in
> this project.  I had a Windows 10 machine with the old DVD images on
> it's drives.  It turns out that Handbrake can take an entire directory
> (DVD image) and convert it to a new directory of 1 .m4v file for each
> .VOB file.  That way I have a directory structure similar to the old DVD
> images directories, but now in .m4v.  This should do what I want for
> long term storage of these ancient Beta Max and DV images. It's funny to
> look at what we marveled at with a Home beta max machine compared to my
> Samsung S8.
>
> Jim A

Bill Bixby
Laconia NH