[mythtv-users] converting home movies via mythtv?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Dec 20 20:14:57 UTC 2017

Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:

> i’ve been putting off this task, but maybe it’s time.  I have a bunch of home movies that originally were on tape and were converted to DVD years ago.  I then copied the DVDs to my NAS for safe keeping.  But they are hard to work with in that DVD format. lots of .VOB files and DVD menu files, etc.  If I could convert these to mp4 (h.264) files they would be better for storing online in a safe place.

Just converting the VOBs to a single container without any transcoding can be done by ffmpeg, the command line I'm using (within a loop) is :
cat S${s}E${e}.dvdmedia/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_*.VOB | ffmpeg -i - -f mpegts -c copy -map 0:1 -map 0:2 S${s}E${e}.mpeg

I don't think you need the map options, I think I put them in when I was trying to work around a problem with subtitles - the subtitles track didn't start until part way through the video and so ffmpeg wouldn't include it. Tried all sorts of things but couldn't get the subtitles included.