[mythtv-users] Setting up a Logitech Harmony Smart Control remote with mythtv

Marlon Buchanan mlb.linux at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 17:41:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Brent Haag <brenthaag at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:
>
>> i've been running the smart control for a few years and it's been
>> reasonably good. biggest issue was IR was a touch intermittent with it
>> turned the NUC on - sometimes it wouldnt.
>>
>> I moved over to BT a month ago and has overall been a better experience.
>> Far more reliable, but it IS different than IR in how it works with the nuc.
>> first up, bluetooth will only wake the machine up if it's in S3 (and
>> probably S4, but i dont use that). IR would wake the nuc up from power-off
>> state.
>>
>> because of that, you'll need to run a script to set USB devices to allow
>> wakeup.
>> also, for all my current/historic kit, you'll ned to redetect your
>> outputs. Turns out my issues are from an Onkyo AVR of a certain era where
>> it wont reliably allow the pc to detect monitor/edid, so the PC either
>> needs a restart, or xrandr script to force redetection (which i've never
>> got it 100%).
>>
>> aside from the S3 resume issues that seem to be my kit than anything else
>> bluetooth has been an equivelent functionality experience to IR, if a bit
>> easier as i didnt need to mess around with lirc configs.
>> It definately feels more responsive, and it has been more reliable and
>> i'd definately recommend it over IR.
>>

> Interesting thread here...I've always used my HDHomerun that had a built
> in IR receiver that can send the commands over UDP to a LIRC client on the
> frontend (listening over the network, obviously).
>
> I'll have to look into the Bluetooth option when it dies. :)
>

> --
> Brent Haag
> E: brenthaag at gmail.com

I've been using cheap MCE usb IR receivers and old Harmony IR remotes from
all of my home theater needs for 10+ years now. Sometimes they aren't as
responsive as I want, but for the most part whenever I've replaced/added a
new frontend, I've just used the same configuration files and am good to
go. I have played around with my smartphone and using controlling myth and
other equipment (receivers, TVs) over the network, but always come back to
IR because I prefer the remote. But when this solution dies, I'll
definitely look into bluetooth too, or maybe sooner when I get play time...