[mythtv-users] Anyone record Comet network OTA?

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 02:17:45 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 3:13 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 14/12/17 02:09, George Bingham wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 4:14 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
>> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 13/12/17 02:48, George Bingham wrote:
>>
>>         Hello everyone,
>>
>>              I am dealing with some weirdness that I bet others may have
>>         seen and figured out before....
>>
>>              One of the multiplexes here in Kansas City shows the
>>         "Comet" network - and it is mostly old sci-fi movies and some
>>         shows. One of them is Stargate Atlantis which I enjoy.
>>

>>     TTBOMK lossless mythtranscode is intended for mpeg2video, so I
>>     assume that is what your recordings are supposed to be.  Have you
>>     tried running mythtranscode -m *without* a cutlist first? After
>>     making a copy.
>>
>>     That might clean it up a bit.  It should change the file type from
>>     .ts to .mpg too, and rebuild the seektable for future manual
>>     editing. Alternatively a Project-X based tool might work, but
>>     involve more setting-up.
>>
>>     John P
>>

>> Thanks John,
>>
>>      I will try that on a new recording from that channel tonight. If I
>> rename the original, transcode it, and then write the output file to the
>> original recording name, then I can be working from that transcoded file
>> within the Recording screen using the Myth interface and use the regular
>> job system for detecting commercials and editing the comskip list the
>> regular way?
>>
>>      That is what I will try and will let you know the results.
>>
>> George
>>

> 'mythtranscode -m' will only work on the file named in the database, and
> it will change that name to .mpg   The editor, and probably other jobs,
> should be able to find and work on the output.
>
> Just keep a backup copy of the original.  You should be able to get back
> to it by giving it the DB name, as shown on the 'info' (I) screen, and
> 'mythcommskip -rebuild'
>
> Good luck
>
> John

Thanks for the advise guys,

Here's what I have found to give me the best results - although "best" is
way short of good.

After the initial recording, I have to rebuild the seek table. I am using
mythcommflag to do that.

When the seek table is rebuilt, I can run mythcommflag to detect
commercials.

I have to then go into edit mode to clean it up, but the commercial
detection works fairly well - as opposed to the way it works without
rebuilding the seek table anyway.

After cleaning the commercial detection up, I then use the regular
mythtranscode job commands to transcode it using "LOW" quality.
That results in a mpeg-1 format file, at least that's what I assume because
of the indications when I bring up the "info" screen while watching it in
mythtv.

The recording does have some pixellation where there wasn't any in the
original, and it's somewhat annoying when the camera pans and the whole
background and foreground is moving, but it's not quite so bad as to be
unwatchable.

After that, I do my own custom transcode job on it, when when given a SD
recording, uses a basic "medium to low" quality transcode to x264 and I end
up with a .mp4 file stored in the appropriate video directory for that TV
show.

The end results looks indistinguishable to the version of the recording
after the first mythtranscode command, so it still has the pixelation
problems.

I have tried skipping that initial mythtranscode step, but the end result
is way worse. I am not sure why these particular recordings are so
problematic, but I think it has to do with how the "Comet" network formats
it's TV shows. For example, I am pretty sure these TV shows were done in SD
to fit a 4:3 screen, but this network has reformatted them to 16:9, but
it's still only 480 pixels high (I think mediainfo reports that the
original recording is 720x480).

Also, since Comet network is also online - you can go to their website and
watch the network live there - I am guessing they format their data for
streaming and maybe that's why the broadcast version has all those extra
blank frames interspersed.

Anyway, if anyone else gets this network and enjoys Stargate Atlantis, I
hope this helps, and I would really like to know what your experience is if
you record it's shows and run commercial detection.

Thanks!

George