[mythtv-users] Setting up a Logitech Harmony Smart Control remote with mythtv

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Fri Dec 15 11:15:14 UTC 2017

On 12/14/2017 07:45 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
On 12/14/2017 4:11 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net<mailto:seven at seven.dorksville.net>> wrote:

On 15 December 2017 at 05:31, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com<mailto:oliver.greg at gmail.com>> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Andre Newman MythTV <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk<mailto:mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk>> wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2017, at 16:53, David Engel <david at istwok.net<mailto:david at istwok.net>> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 12:37:02PM +0100, Andre Newman MythTV wrote:
>>
>>> On 14 Dec 2017, at 00:54, Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net<mailto:seven at seven.dorksville.net>> wrote:

>>> Chuck your IR remote and receiver and go get a ~$15 (or less) USB
>>> Bluetooth dongle.  Then configure your Harmony Hub to use BT instead
>>> of IR.  You'll get a *much* more reliable and faster remote.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> Ditto Bluetooth is miles better then IR with the Harmony setup.
>>
>> Very interesting, which Harmony profile do you use for the Bluetooth?
>>
>> My IR has always been a bit of a pain and I have a couple of BT adaptors knocking around.
>
> As noted in another message in this thread, tell the Harmony you're
> setting up a Windows Computer.

Thanks I spotted that on the way past, a little job for the weekend.

Just a curious bystander, but could someone tell me *why* this is so much better than IR which has worked for me well for so many years.  In my opinion, I have had several issue with BT on Linux in the past, and I cannot think of a single time IR has failed me.

Is it just the response time?  So going from IR on the remote directly to the IR receiver through USB on the host is that much slower than going WiFi from the remote to the Hub, then BT to the BT receiver through the same USB with keyboard emulation is that much faster?

Any other pros to switching to BT?  I guess I could always run them both since the remote does both and play with it, but it just seems like I would not notice anything since I never type with a remote and I have already mapped all the keys I would ever use in my lirc config file..

Just trying to get the benefits all explained :)

Key Presses are much more responsive (makes the whole frontend feel faster) and theres no messing around with lirc or ir-keytable

The only down side is trying to get "cheap" linux compatible BT dongles, seems to be hit or miss which chipsets are floating about.

Cheers,

Anthony

Long ago I bought a Tivo peanut remote just to have a small keyboard to use when I needed to type in MythTV for whatever reason.  It came with it's own BT receiver and works well for that.  I also have some micro keyboards that have their own USB sticks (like a logitech Unified Receiver) that are hand sized.  They needed recharging too often to keep me happy, so now they are used for headless servers and to watch MythTV from my laptop in hotel rooms when I need them.

I guess I will just have to setup the harmony stuff to see if it is noticeable.  I do not really like the Hub architecture - I can control it from anywhere on the network with no authentication whatsoever.  Not very smart on their part.  I guess I will put it on the same private network with my DirectTV receivers in the same boat..  All this IoT stuff is quickly getting out of hand with security :)

Thanks for the info.

-Greg

I've been using wireless keyboard/trackball combos for years with MythTV.  I tried the IR remote, but it was so slow and unresponsive that I just stick with the keyboard.  The keyboard also makes email, web browsing, and shell access simple.  I have had good results with the IO Gear wireless keyboards.  They are not IR, so no line of sight issues.  The batteries last about as long as a regular remote would (more than 1 year).
Jay
I also use the IO Gear Wireless Keyboard/trackball combo.  For the same reason I also use the BT Harmony Smart Control remote.  All my Mythtv gear is behind a cabinet.  I have fed a IR repeater from out side the cabinet, but still not as good as RF or BT.

Jim A