[mythtv-users] Setting up a Logitech Harmony Smart Control remote with mythtv

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Thu Dec 14 14:19:35 UTC 2017

On Dec 14, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:

On Dec 14, 2017, at 5:45 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:

On 12/13/2017 06:54 PM, Anthony Giggins wrote:

On 14 December 2017 at 09:33, David Engel <david at istwok.net<mailto:david at istwok.net>> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 11:01:42PM +0000, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> I have 2 Harmony Smart control remotes and I love them.  For controlling standard stuff it works great.  I even have one mythtv frontend controlled by it.  That system has a Microsoft MCE 1039 IR remote and I added the Mythtv FE as a Microsoft Media PC.  That remote works on Live TV, FireTV, and Mythtv.
>
> So now to the problem.  My newest FE uses an old Vista MCE remote model VRC-1100.  Using the wiki on mythtv on the VRC-1100, I got my FE working fine with the Microsoft Vista remote.  Now I want the Harmony Smart Control remote to work with it.  But not sure where to start.  I thought I’d check with the experts here before digging much further.

Chuck your IR remote and receiver and go get a ~$15 (or less) USB
Bluetooth dongle.  Then configure your Harmony Hub to use BT instead
of IR.  You'll get a *much* more reliable and faster remote.

David

Ditto Bluetooth is miles better then IR with the Harmony setup.

Anthony

That sound like an improvement.  However, what about the BT on the FE?  My frontend for this computer is an Intel NUC Core i-3 and has Wifi/BT built in.  Could that be setup to talk to Harmony and mythtv-frontend?

Jim A

Okay, I had some time this morning to play with this.  I started by adding my mythtv in as a Other Computer (instead of Windows or Mac) and got the bluetooth paired between the Harmony Smart control and the Mythtv built in BT.  However when I tried to use it I had not remote buttons that worked.  So I tried to edit the remote buttons and the only only commands I could assign to any button was UP, Down, Right, or Left.  So I have not OK, Pause, Play, etc.

Any ideas on adding the other functions I need?

Jim A

So here’s what I found with more playing.  I deleted the Other Computer and Setup a Windows Computer in the Harmony Smart Control as a new device (even though the PC is mythbuntu 16.04).  Then I paired the BT function (the Ubuntu BT manager GUI worked as expected).  The last part is to customize the remote buttons functions.  I had to change a lot of them like stop, exit, menu, info, pause, play, etc.  Now it works just fine and better than any IR remote I’ve gotten to work on Mythtv before.

Jim A