[mythtv-users] Anyone record Comet network OTA?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Dec 14 09:13:50 UTC 2017

On 14/12/17 02:09, George Bingham wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 4:14 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 13/12/17 02:48, George Bingham wrote:
>
>         Hello everyone,
>
>              I am dealing with some weirdness that I bet others may have
>         seen and figured out before....
>
>              One of the multiplexes here in Kansas City shows the
>         "Comet" network - and it is mostly old sci-fi movies and some
>         shows. One of them is Stargate Atlantis which I enjoy.
>

>     TTBOMK lossless mythtranscode is intended for mpeg2video, so I
>     assume that is what your recordings are supposed to be.  Have you
>     tried running mythtranscode -m *without* a cutlist first? After
>     making a copy.
>
>     That might clean it up a bit.  It should change the file type from
>     .ts to .mpg too, and rebuild the seektable for future manual
>     editing. Alternatively a Project-X based tool might work, but
>     involve more setting-up.
>
>     John P
>

> Thanks John,
>
>      I will try that on a new recording from that channel tonight. If I
> rename the original, transcode it, and then write the output file to the
> original recording name, then I can be working from that transcoded file
> within the Recording screen using the Myth interface and use the regular
> job system for detecting commercials and editing the comskip list the
> regular way?
>
>      That is what I will try and will let you know the results.
>
> George

'mythtranscode -m' will only work on the file named in the database, and
it will change that name to .mpg   The editor, and probably other jobs,
should be able to find and work on the output.

Just keep a backup copy of the original.  You should be able to get back
to it by giving it the DB name, as shown on the 'info' (I) screen, and
'mythcommskip -rebuild'

Good luck

John