[mythtv-users] Fresh install of Mythtv version 29

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 01:46:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 12:53:05 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2017-12-04 at 16:53 +0000, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> >> Since I had problems trying to upgrade a production system from 0.28
> >> to 29, I tried building a new Xubuntu 16.04.3 system as a test case.
> >>
> >> I added the repository PPA:mythbuntu/0.29. And then installing the
> >> package mythtv.  It installed just fine. I did setup a link from
> >> /etc/mythtv/config.xml to the .mythtv/config.xml before running the
> >> frontend due to past issues, but not sure if it’s still
> >> required.  Once the backend was setup with a tuner and storage
> >> locations, I could watch TV, etc.
> >>
> >> Everything worked as expected. but one observation.  It systems to
> >> have install MariaDB. I wasn’t expecting that.
> >
> >All the distros seem to have switched from MySqlDB to MariaDB.
> >
> >David
>
> Excellent!  MariaDB is better than MySQL now from my point of view -
> it still uses readline in its utilities so I can use proper command
> history.  MySQL changed to using editline in recent versions due to
> Oracle not liking the license for readline, and editline is horrible.
> I manually switched to MariaDB when they did that.  A mate at a local
> Linux group mentioned that he thought MariaDB was rather faster and
> used less RAM also, but I have not verified that.  I have not run
> across any incompatibilities - it works just the same as MySQL as far
> as MythTV and the command utilities is concerned.  It does produce
> fewer and better warning messages.  The only thing that you need to
> watch for is that it has an extra config file under /etc/mysql where
> you can put MariaDB only config so it will not interfere if you change
> back to MySQL.

This may be a stupid question, but...
Previously, under MySQL, when upgrading MythTV versions one would point
myth setup to the existing DB and this would automatically upgrade the DB
between versions.
Will this work under MariaDB?  I.e. can one simultaneously upgrade from
0.28 to 0.29 at the same time as from 14.04 to 16.04?