[mythtv-users] One file won't scan into Video library

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 14:02:05 UTC 2017

On 08/12/17 13:40, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 08/12/17 12:16, Robin Gilks wrote:
>> Weird one this...
>>
>> Is there a log setting which will tell me why a file that mplayer & VLC
>> are both quite happy with doesn't appear when I drop it into the video
>> storage group and scan.
>>
>> Other files are fine - or at least have been up to now and I haven't
>> change the software.
>>
>> Is there a command line utility that creates the same hash as the Video
>> library code and if so how would I search the database for a duplicate?
>>
>> This is a file I created from an mp3 file using ffmpeg and a single jpeg
>> frame. This because the video player can seek and I can set a bookmark
>> which I can't do in the Music player and I find to be necessary for a 2
>> hour file that I doubt I'll have time to listen to in one go!
>>
>> Is the signature of the file coming out the same as one of the 11 files
>> already loaded and created with the same jpeg (but different mp3's) ?
>>
> There was a similar thread in August.  The hashing process doesn't scan
> the entire file and it looks as if you're getting a duplicate.

This is a bug. Whenever a hash is used there is the possibility of
duplicates and therefore the need for double-checking that the files are
indeed identical or at least for a mechanism to avoid the duplicate hashes.

For example, I don know whether doing something simple to one of the
files (like adding some zeroes to the end) would resolve the problem
without invalidating the file.