[mythtv-users] when and how to upgrade to 0.29

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Fri Dec 1 17:26:04 UTC 2017

On Nov 27, 2017, at 6:09 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:

On 11/26/2017 08:37 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

So I need upgrading to 0.29 to not cause any issues.

This doesn't square with your opening statement.  You said your system
is already "healthy", so what issues do you foresee coming from just
leaving it alone?

If you have a healthy and stable system already and it's meeting all of
your needs, why mess with it?  At best you are only going to get the
same stable and healthy system and at worst, with some non-
insignificant probability, you will be introducing new problems that
will need to be worked out.

I'm not sure I see how you are any further ahead even with the "best"
outcome above.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

All your points are valid. However, as a retired engineer who worked on hardware and software for over 40 years, I have a compelling need to work on some computer project all the time or at least when I'm not RVing around the country.  It's winter now and I'm back into computer projects. So getting mythtv to the latest revision seems like a safe project because if it fails, I can go back to my backup on my NAS easy enough.

Plus it can be a multi day project because I have 6 myth and Kodi FE's that will need upgrading also. :-)

Jim A

One further question on upgrading.  When I add the repository for 29 to my system and do the update/upgrade, do I need to remove the 0.28 repository?

Jim A

But really, I would stress that you should really ask yourself why you
think you need to upgrade other than just because "it's the latest" if
everything is already running smoothly.

Cheers,
b.