[mythtv-users] lirc MCE USB receiver intermittently stops working?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 20:10:53 UTC 2017

Many of you may have seen my endless thread regarding lirc and
serial_ir. Whether that's an x86 specific bug or whatever, I've
started having my doubts that it's getting fixed, so I picked up an
MCE USB receiver to mess around with. I just got a receiver (no
remote) and was hoping to use it with my Philips TIVO34 remote. Here's
what I've run into:

Using the default lirc driver with this:

Aug 25 15:55:16 dell2 kernel: rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec
(mceusb) registered at minor = 0

I tried an irw test, and thought I had it made...it recognized every
key...just flawless. However suddenly it just stopped responding for
almost a minute and then started working again. It EXTREMELY
intermittent. I was trying changes to the repeat_max setting and at
first thought I had it nailed, but no luck...I had just gotten luck
for a short period. So as it is, it's close yet unusable.
Unreal...lirc is starting to really really piss me off.

Has anyone run into this with MCE receivers, or have any clue what
might help? I'm actually just about to experiment with ir-keytables as
a possible alternative to this whole nightmare.

Tom