[mythtv-users] lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 19:47:48 UTC 2017

Hoi Tom,

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hoi Tom,
>>
>> Are you talking two machines running different kernels or two
>> alternate kernels on the same machine?
>>
>> If the first, what happens if you run the working machine with the
>> 4.12.5 kernel? and what if you emerge the 4.9.34 kernel on the problem
>> machine?
>>
>> Also you can try copying the .config from your 4.9.34 kernel tree to
>> the 4.12.5.
>>
>> Tot mails,
>>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens
>>

> This is just one machine switching between the old and new kernel. It
> works fine on the old kernel, but not with the serial_ir on 4.12.5.

> Tom

Have you tried using the lirc kernel modules?
My machine having a serial receiver uses the lirc_serial and lirc_dev
modules from lirc. It still runs a 3.18 kernel, I do not know if those
modules compile against a 4 kernel.
You cannot mix one from the kernel and the other from lirc, so disable
the lirc_dev module in your kernel
Just emerge lirc with serial as LIRC_DEVICES
Add:
LIRC_DEVICES="serial"
to your make.conf

You have to emerge lirc again on any kernel updates.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com