[mythtv-users] lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 13:40:04 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You have noted that here are two paths, right? One which uses the kernel
>> decoding (ir-lirc-codec etc), an event device and the devinput driver. And
>> one bypassing the kernel decoding, using the /dev/lirc0 device and the
>> default driver? And that the latter part requires that the kernel decoding
>> is disabled i. e., that only the lirc protocol is enabled in the
>> /sys/class/rc/rc0 device?
>>

>> Cheers!
>>
>> --alec
>>
>  While it certainly appears that others who have this working are
> using the default driver approach, I have noticed something
> interesting...though it may not be pertinent:
>
> If I do this:
> echo nec > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>
> I'm able to so this:
> mode2 --driver devinput --device /dev/input/event6
> Using driver devinput on device /dev/input/event6
> Trying device: /dev/input/event6
> Using device: /dev/input/event6
> Warning: Running as root.
> code: 0xf17b9d59712300000400040019e08530
> code: 0xf17b9d59712300000000000000000000
>
> Not sure if that's meaningful at all. I don't seem to be able to
> configure lircd to use devinput in any case. Even if I disable the
> stuff that echos "lirc" to the /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols lircd
> always seems to set it to lirc.
>
> Tom

One other thing confuses me about the ir-lirc-codec: If that isn't
used at all with the default driver, why was it that various bugs in
it caused issues specifically with serial_ir? Wouldn't that imply that
everyone affected would be using devinput?

The kernel config for that has this:

CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC:
Enable this option to pass raw IR to and from userspace via the LIRC interface.

I originally interpreted that as being the opposite of what you
described...that is, that it specifically was to translate the IR data
to the lirc protocol. Clearly not from what you're telling me. Very
confusing.

Tom