[mythtv-users] lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 21:43:16 UTC 2017

On 22/08/17 22:30, Tom Dexter wrote:

 > Still no /dev/lirc0 getting created. Awful.

This is a kernel issue, and you might need to get in touch with the
kernel devs or (sometimes easier) downstream distro kernel maintainers.
As I said, this is above may $0 paygrade...

> Here's what I get when starting lircd:
>
> /etc/init.d/lircd start
>   * Starting lircd ...
>   * Setting lirc protocol active for rc0
>
> That last line is echoing to this:
>
> cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
> rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]
>
> Is that how thats intended to look? I think you said that it should
> only have lirc?

yup, looks fine if you plan to use the /dev/lirc0 device and the default
driver.

Basically this looks like a kernel bug to me: It has a rc0 /sys device,
runs the lirc protocol and still does not present a /dev/lirc0 link. I
assume you have checked dmesg for any clue.

FWIW, a working lirc0 also creates a /sys/class/rc/rc0/lirc0  link.

Cheers!

--alec