[mythtv-users] USB IR receiver with TIVO 34 remote?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 18:07:40 UTC 2017

Hoi Tom,

Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 4:11:38 AM, you wrote:

> As noted in another thread I'm having a lot if difficulty with the
> apparent more of lirc_serial to serial_ir in kernel 4.12. I don't like
> some things I'm reading that seem to imply that the serial remote
> stuff could be going away(?). Not sure what to make of that.

> If I wanted to move to a USB receiver of some kind (mce?), would I be
> able to continue to use by existing TIVO34 remote? I'm hoping that the
> type of receiver just affects the kernel driver, and that the actual
> IR remote being used is an entirely separate issue.

> Thanks in advance.

> Tom

That depends on the receiver. It must understand the protocol the
remote is using. For instance the build-in receiver in my PVR350 only
talks RC-5, which is also the standard for Philips consumer
electronics. With my home-made serial I can talk any protocol the
driver understands and that is loaded.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven