[mythtv-users] lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 13:43:53 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Could it be the kernel driver issue discussed in the lirc mailing list
>> > [1] ?
>> >

>> > --alec
>> >
>> > [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman/message/35926194/
>>
>> This day is gonna make me cry yet. I just joined the lirc-list mailing
>> list and I swear to God, nothing anywhere tells me what the email
>> address is that I need to send to! Anyone have a clue what that is?
>> Apparently the list name is lirc-list. No words for this day at all...
>

> yes, the lirc_serial to lirc_ir transition bit me too... It took me weeks to
> figure it out. I finally got mine working again but I'm using a simple
> hardware serial port receiver.
>
> Not sure if it will help you but the "magic incantation" I had to do was add
> the following to lirc_options.conf:
>
> [modinit]
> code1 = /usr/sbin/rmmod serial_ir
> code2 = /usr/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
> code3 = /usr/sbin/modprobe serial_ir
>
> The module gets loaded before I can disable the uart...
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

I'm using a simple hardware serial port receiver as well. Not only
that, none of the potential issues with the serial port uart are an
issue for me as I have the SERIAL_8250 disabled in my kernel
altogether. All the lirc stuff is compiled in as well...no modules
involved at all. What's ever more perplexing is the fact that mode2
works with the default driver and /dev/lirc0 that I'm using, which
rules about everything except something breaking the decoding. That
would seem to be an issue with the ir-lirc-codec. That's used by the
serial_ir but wasn't needed for lirc_serial.

There were even several bugs around just that in ir-lirc-codec.c, all
of which I've patched into the kernel, and still no luck. Just
horrible.

Tom