[mythtv-users] Configuring USB3 HDMI capture device non-HDCP source

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Aug 15 12:58:32 UTC 2017

> I had limited success with setting the capture device as an "Analog
> capture card", but the video plays at half speed (maybe because it is
> capturing at 60 fps?).

Yeah, it's probably because the video is at 60 FPS.  Those devices use
the UVC webcam driver (i.e. most applications think it's a webcam as
opposed to a TV input).  MythTV doesn't expect analog video at any
rates other than what you would normally get out of a standard
definition NTSC or PAL signal (i.e. 29.97 FPS or 25 FPS).  MythTV
would likely have to be extended to enumerate the supported framerates
via the V4L2 API, and then adjust how it configures it's encoder
accordingly.

> My audio is not coming through just yet because
> I don't think I've passed the audio devices to the LXC container (my
> previous MPEG-4 cards didn't need it).

Right.  Those devices should present themselves as an ALSA device to
capture from.

> I would have thought that "V4L2 Encoder" would be what I needed and
> mythtv-setup shows "Probed info: USB3.0 Capture Video [uvcvideo]"
> which is correct. When I try to watch LiveTV from it, I get a
> segmentation fault.

That device definitely shouldn't be accessed as a V4L2 encoder.  While
you could certainly argue that the application should handle this
condition better and report an error rather than segfaulting, in the
immediate term you're on the wrong path if your goal is just to make
the device work.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs