[mythtv-users] Strange problem with Technisat CableStar Combo HD CI

Janusz S. Bień jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Aug 14 19:49:37 UTC 2017

Hi!

Some time ago on my old computer I was using succesfully Technisat
CableStar Combo HD CI:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_CableStar_Combo_HD_CI

with MythTV on Debian (for cable). I remember that both tuners being
available and I had to select the appropriate one during the MythTV
setup.

On a new computer for several reasons I used a different tuner just for
DVB-T. It just broke down, so I decided at least temporarily use the old
Technisat for the terrestial broadcast.

To my surprise on Debian stretch (now the stable distribution) only one
tuner is available and after boot it is the cable one. After a lot of
experimenting I found that running

w_scan -ft -c PL -x

makes /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 switch to the DVB-T tuner and MythTV
is usable till the next boot.

What is your opinion? Is this a bug in a driver or it is a wrong driver
handling the tuner? At the moment I don't care about the cable tuner, I
will be satisfied by making the DVB-T tuner the default one.

I will appreciate very much your advice.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)