[mythtv-users] Automatic channel scans

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 15:48:17 UTC 2017

On 11/08/17 16:46, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
>> Wiadomość napisana przez Jeff <jffry at posteo.net> w dniu 08.08.2017, o godz. 20:01:
>>
>> It seems to me that there are changes to the channel line-up on Astra
>> something every couple of weeks. Mostly I don't notice until recordings
>> start failing, and then I don't have the necessary block of couple of
>> hours to do anything about it, and so I end up running mythtv-setup
>> perhaps every 18 months.
>>
>> Would it not be possible to achieve something like automatic channel
>> updates by having a job run, say once a week or once a month, which
>> performs a scan when the backend is not being used (e.g. in my case,
>> before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan, and
>> then presents the differences to the user?
>>
>> e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
>>      'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'
>>
>> Is this feasible?
>>
>> Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff
>>
> Jeff,
>
> You may look (and also devs) on LVR patch for more-or-less such functionality.
> patch attached

Piotr,

Very interesting patch.

Where did you get it from ?

I have just downloaded the latest patch set (February 2017) from
Lawrence's site and the patch for this feature (master branch, which
from dates looks like older version of 0.29pre)  is :

0302-TV-Auto-detect-added-moved-and-removed-DVB-channels-.patch

Note the 0302-... not 0305... and the two patches are slightly different
according to diff.

Unfortunately neither applies cleanly to current mythtv master branch
(30-pre)

Mike