[mythtv-users] MCE remote not working

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 08:42:26 UTC 2017

This much too late, but for the archives:

On 10/07/17 03:57, Don Brett wrote:
> On 7/8/2017 8:40 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:22 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>> I installed 16.04 several weeks ago and thought the remote was working.
>>> Somewhere along the line, it stopped (solved other issues and did
>>> updates; maybe something happened).  Trying ir-keytable, it finds  the
>>> remote, but the key stroke test doesn't do anything....tried all the
>>> event inputs (1-16), but nothing.  Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Don
>> When you thought that the remote was working, I am guessing that you
>> only tried the arrow keys, and that previously were using a much older
>> version of Mythbuntu, from before the IR drivers moved into the
>> kernel.  A lot of people have been caught by this.

Now, here are two things: Don tries to use the kernel decoding, without
using lirc at all. So, while using ir-keytable and the kernel keymaps
the lirc drivers, in kernel or not, are irrelevant.

That said, my basic impression is that the kernel decoding is fine when
it works out of the box. However, when running into problems as here,
lirc is in many cases easier to work with. This means using the default
driver typically on /dev/lirc0.

Cheers!

--alec