[mythtv-users] Automatic channel scans

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 11:19:49 UTC 2017

On 08/08/17 19:01, Jeff wrote:
> It seems to me that there are changes to the channel line-up on Astra
> something every couple of weeks. Mostly I don't notice until recordings
> start failing, and then I don't have the necessary block of couple of
> hours to do anything about it, and so I end up running mythtv-setup
> perhaps every 18 months.
>
> Would it not be possible to achieve something like automatic channel
> updates by having a job run, say once a week or once a month, which
> performs a scan when the backend is not being used (e.g. in my case,
> before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan, and
> then presents the differences to the user?
>
> e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
>       'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'
>
> Is this feasible?
>
> Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff

Yes, it is a good idea and is probably feasible with some changes to mythtv.

mythtv-setup already has the capability to perform an automated scan and
either apply immediately  or save it for later use, see
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Command_Line_Channel_Scanner
However, as far as I can tell this automated scan does not work for
DVB-S/S2, hence changes to mythtv.

I was thinking of something along the lines of comparing current channel
setup with automated last scan and just identify something has changed,
the user would then use mythtv-setup manually, to either rescan existing
transports (with search for new transports selected) or import the
automated scan results.

Mike