[mythtv-users] Automatic channel scans

Jeff jffry at posteo.net
Tue Aug 8 18:01:18 UTC 2017

It seems to me that there are changes to the channel line-up on Astra
something every couple of weeks. Mostly I don't notice until recordings
start failing, and then I don't have the necessary block of couple of
hours to do anything about it, and so I end up running mythtv-setup
perhaps every 18 months.

Would it not be possible to achieve something like automatic channel
updates by having a job run, say once a week or once a month, which
performs a scan when the backend is not being used (e.g. in my case,
before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan, and
then presents the differences to the user?

e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
     'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'

Is this feasible?

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Regards

Jeff