[mythtv-users] Problem running mythtv setup

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 7 20:34:26 UTC 2017

On 08/07/2017 03:50 PM, Andréas Kühne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded my mythbuntu box from 12.04 to 14.04 last year. I also
> upgraded from 0.27 to 0.28 at the same time. Since then I haven't been
> able to run mtyhtv-setup. This hasn't been an issue until now. Now my
> cable provider has released their HD channels so that I am able to
> view them as well (previously a special type of HD box was required,
> and I don't think that it is required any more).
>
> So now I'd like to be able to run mythtv-setup.
>
> I don't get any errors or anything like that, the only thing that
> happens is I get the dialog boxes for shutting down mythtv-backend and
> starting it later on. In between the mythtv-backend terminal box pops
> up, but nothing happens and it shuts down again.
>
> Previously I would get a segfault.
>
> I have the latest version of 0.28 available from mythbuntu installed.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this or see what
> is wrong?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andréas

I suggest first shut down the backend, then open a terminal window and
run mythtv-setup. See if there are any error messages in the terminal
window.  If you are running mythbuntu or mythtv installed from the
ubuntu packages you may need to run mythtv-setupreal or something like
that as they may have created a script around mythtv-setup and renamed
the actual mythtv-setup as something with real on the end.