[mythtv-users] Brand new install - Mythbackend doesn't start

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 14:56:13 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> On 03/08/17 19:50, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
> On 03/08/17 10:47, Roger Siddons wrote:
>

> Both had same IP - it didn't work.
> So I put 127.0.0.1 for the Local Backend, and 172.16.10.54as Master
> backend  (still same machine)
>

> When properly configured as a master it aborts, as expected, because
> there's no tuner.
>
> When improperly configured as a slave, the slave gets further (seems
> there's no tuner requirement)
> but gets itself tied up in knots when it tries to connect to the master
> (itself), causing all sorts
> of weirdness. You're basically telling it that the backend is both a
> master & a slave.
>
> Actually, I am beginning to think that the best course of action is not to
> persist with attempting to get this system working at all.
>
> Instead, do a clean install with a fresh database and set up a mythtv user
> to run from - if it isn't already set up automatically. That will ensure
> that (i) the information in the DB is consistent and stable and (ii) the
> permissions and locations of all the necessary files are correct.
>
> Make sure the line starting "bind-address" in /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf
> is commented out so that your mysql/mariadb server can talk to the rest of
> the network.
>
> Then, run mythtv-setup before doing anything else. That will ensure that
> things get set up the way that they are supposed to be. Only once you have
> done that, should you attempt to run the master backend.
>
> Tempting, I nearly suggested it as well. However I think it is getting
> closer.

Thank you for not giving up - i understand sometimes that's the best choice
and especially since this is a brand new one, i had no problem recreating a
VM. However, we seemed to have fixed it!

> I saw this:
> Aug 02 23:20:13 mythmaster.localdomain mythbackend[11778]: 2017-08-02
> 23:20:13.029735 E  TVRec[1]: Problem finding starting channel, setting to
> default of '3'.
> Aug 02 23:20:13 mythmaster.localdomain mythbackend[11778]: 2017-08-02
> 23:20:13.034321 E  Scheduler: No channel sources defined in the database
>
> Looks like dummy tuner is not setup correctly. I think next step would be
> to delete all capture cards on all hosts / delete all video sources on all
> hosts just to clear that part out. Then redo the dummy tuner. I have never
> done a demo / dummy tuner so I have no idea how to do it but saw an old
> (old) reference that went something like this:
> 0: stop backend

No matter what it refused to stop. It kept showing "failed" like before.

> 1: mythtv-setup, Capture Cards, New Capture Card. set as Demo Recorder
> 2: probably add a file location to an mpeg file (it might be able to be
> left blank, not sure)
> 3: mythtv-setup, Video Sources, New Video Source. set as no grabber
> 4: mythtv-setup, Input Connections, attach Capture Card to Video Source
> 5: mythtv-setup, Channel Editor, Add New Channel, give it a name
> 6: save and exit
> 7: start the backend again

It worked!

Here's the output of the mythfrontend

https://pastebin.com/qEpdRCwW

I do see this a few times - not sure why:

CoreContext mmulticastsocketdevice.cpp:112 (writeBlock) -
MMulticastSocketDevice(:29): setsockopt - IP_MULTICAST_IF

CoreContext mmulticastsocketdevice.cpp:112 (writeBlock) -
MMulticastSocketDevice(:29): setsockopt - IP_MULTICAST_IF

eno: Cannot assign requested address (99)

Tried it again

https://pastebin.com/khsBSp2w

Same errors - not sure if they are insignificant.

I also had Audio issues - but this is a VM, and that's probably why. I will
have to either upgrade my current 0.27 frontend or safer way would be to
let it be a FE off the current 0.27 mythbackend and build a new 0.28 FE

Otherwise more recently it seems the suggestion is to just add an IPTV

--
http://about.me/adesai