[mythtv-users] Brand new install - Mythbackend doesn't start

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Aug 3 11:32:42 UTC 2017

On 03/08/17 11:20, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 03/08/17 10:47, Roger Siddons wrote:
>>>
>>> Both had same IP - it didn't work.
>>> So I put 127.0.0.1 for the Local Backend, and 172.16.10.54as Master
>>> backend  (still same machine)
>>>

>> When properly configured as a master it aborts, as expected, because
>> there's no tuner.
>>
>> When improperly configured as a slave, the slave gets further (seems
>> there's no tuner requirement)
>> but gets itself tied up in knots when it tries to connect to the
>> master (itself), causing all sorts
>> of weirdness. You're basically telling it that the backend is both a
>> master & a slave.
>>
> Actually, I am beginning to think that the best course of action is not
> to persist with attempting to get this system working at all.
>
> Instead, do a clean install with a fresh database and set up a mythtv
> user to run from - if it isn't already set up automatically. That will
> ensure that (i) the information in the DB is consistent and stable and
> (ii) the permissions and locations of all the necessary files are correct.
>
> Make sure the line starting "bind-address" in
> /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf is commented out so that your
> mysql/mariadb server can talk to the rest of the network.
>
> Then, run mythtv-setup before doing anything else. That will ensure that
> things get set up the way that they are supposed to be. Only once you
> have done that, should you attempt to run the master backend.

I have a kubuntu/xenial/29pre520 laptop that wouldn't connect to its DB
over several weeks of intermittent effort.  For years I have run
mythbackend and mythfrontend from konsole tabs but mythtv-setup
apparently kept moving the goal posts and I didn't know where they were.
  Eventually I got it working with, iirc,  ~/.mythtv/config.xml linked
to the version in /etc.  And I try to remember to use mythtv-setup.real,
mythbackend and mythfrontend.real with, again iirc, no myth services
running.

It's not as recommended, and I'm not offering support, but most of the
time I feel I know what it's doing.

John P