[mythtv-users] Brand new install - Mythbackend doesn't start

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Aug 3 10:20:25 UTC 2017

On 03/08/17 10:47, Roger Siddons wrote:

>> Both had same IP - it didn't work.
>> So I put 127.0.0.1 for the Local Backend, and 172.16.10.54as Master backend  (still same machine)
>>

> When properly configured as a master it aborts, as expected, because there's no tuner.
>
> When improperly configured as a slave, the slave gets further (seems there's no tuner requirement)
> but gets itself tied up in knots when it tries to connect to the master (itself), causing all sorts
> of weirdness. You're basically telling it that the backend is both a master & a slave.

Actually, I am beginning to think that the best course of action is not to persist with attempting
to get this system working at all.

Instead, do a clean install with a fresh database and set up a mythtv user to run from - if it isn't
already set up automatically. That will ensure that (i) the information in the DB is consistent and
stable and (ii) the permissions and locations of all the necessary files are correct.

Make sure the line starting "bind-address" in /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf is commented
out so that your mysql/mariadb server can talk to the rest of the network.

Then, run mythtv-setup before doing anything else. That will ensure that things get set up the way
that they are supposed to be. Only once you have done that, should you attempt to run the master
backend.

--

Mike Perkins