[mythtv-users] Smart TV hacks

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 21:35:54 UTC 2017

Hoi Another,

Sunday, April 30, 2017, 9:12:18 PM, you wrote:

> I have an English friend who moved to NY about 15 years ago.

> We had a conversation last month where he told me his Fibre and Cable
> package was now just under $150 per month.

> When I told him I could tell him how to put up an antenna, go Fibre
> only, repurpose an old circa 2013 PC as a Mythserver and cut his
> monthly outgoings by over $100 per month he almost wet himself.

> I've travelled extensively in the US having visited 32 of the 50
> States and it never ceases to amaze me the massive con that the Cable
> business is, there's really no competition, only local monopolies that
> screw consumers into the floor.

> In the UK still about 50% of people only get their TV from OTA sources
> as Freeview provides a pretty good service all told.  If you want Live
> Sport you're going to pay a large premium, but personally if there's
> some sport event on that I MUST see I'd rather go down the pub and buy
> a beer and watch for free.

> Of course YMMV.

> On 30 April 2017 at 18:44, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 30, 2017 4:42 AM, "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>> And yet, strangely, the entire rest of the world has no problem
>> understanding OTA TV. Yes, we have cable in urban areas, but mostly TV is
>> broadcast.
>>
>> It seems to be the US who is out of step with everybody else.
>>
>> --
>>

>> When I watch travel shows/Bourdain, I always love the shots of homes and
>> apartments bristling with antennas. Here in Toronto, I dropped cable in
>> 2011.

I'm shocked by the prices you name. Here in the Netherlands cable is
almost everywhere. There is OTA, but it is mainly used by people in
their caravan or camper. Without subscription you can only get basic
OTA channels, but a subscription cost some 10-15 EURO.
A basic cable subscription starts at about 20 EURO and internet at
about 25 EURO. I pay monthly 58,23 EURO for two internet connections
a cable connection and a VOIP connection. OK it's not fibre, but that
is coming soon.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven