[mythtv-users] Smart TV hacks

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 30 19:12:18 UTC 2017

I have an English friend who moved to NY about 15 years ago.

We had a conversation last month where he told me his Fibre and Cable
package was now just under $150 per month.

When I told him I could tell him how to put up an antenna, go Fibre
only, repurpose an old circa 2013 PC as a Mythserver and cut his
monthly outgoings by over $100 per month he almost wet himself.

I've travelled extensively in the US having visited 32 of the 50
States and it never ceases to amaze me the massive con that the Cable
business is, there's really no competition, only local monopolies that
screw consumers into the floor.

In the UK still about 50% of people only get their TV from OTA sources
as Freeview provides a pretty good service all told.  If you want Live
Sport you're going to pay a large premium, but personally if there's
some sport event on that I MUST see I'd rather go down the pub and buy
a beer and watch for free.

Of course YMMV.