[mythtv-users] Smart TV hacks

Andrew andrew_mythtv at 16paws.com
Sun Apr 30 01:48:48 UTC 2017

On 04/29/2017 03:13 PM, airdrummer wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>> "Dumb TV's" are called monitors.
>

> vizio's latest smart tvs r "tuner-free" making them monitors...

Perhaps the expansion of proprietary and encrypted cable TV systems
requiring crufty external tuners, and cord-cutting network streaming
video services will render OTA tuners into a niche?  I had not
considered that; it seems that a lot of people don't really understand
OTA TV any more.  When I tried to explain my separate high gain UHF and
VHF antennas to one of my contractors, he was amazed at the concept of
"free TV" but then lost interest when he found out that he could not get
free ESPN.  I had a date with a local TV station program editor and she
did not understand the timing of our local ATSC transition.  It makes me
feel so old when I think of my trusty Samsung SIR-T165 ATSC tuner, long
since packed away.  I had high hopes of getting something out of the
Firewire interface.

Andrew