[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi Mythfrontend 1080i Poor Playback with Recent Raspbian OS Image

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 22 18:21:01 UTC 2017

On 04/11/2017 01:11 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> On 2017-04-11 09:54 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Does playback and OSD still work satisfactorily with OpenGL OSD renderer
>> (or OpenMAX High Quality) with the good deinterlacer?
>>
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Raspbian OS 2017-03-02 with the primary deinterlacer set to "Line
> double (HW)" in the following two playback profiles, the playback was
> smooth without On Screen Display in action.  When OSD was in action,
> there was a small slowness in the playback of video content.  This was
> just perceptible, and for me acceptable for the few times that OSD is
> activated (FFWD/REW/INFO).
>
> Playback Profile           Deinterlacer       1080i Playback Result
> ------------------------   ----------------   -------------------------
> OpenMAX High Quality [1]   Line double (HW)   Good smooth playback
> OpenMAX Normal       [1]   Line double (HW)   Good smooth playback
>
> [1] Edited profile to set Primary deinterlacer to "Line double (HW)".
>
> I also tested with Raspbian OS 2016-02-09 and had the same playback
> experience.
>

> Thank you Peter for all your work to ensure that the efforts to get
> MythTV working on the Raspberry Pi have not been lost, and continue to
> improve.
>
> Further a huge thank you to all the people who have contributed to
> MythTV over the years.  I've been a happy MythTV user since 2011 and
> appreciate the freedom provided with a home-build PVR.
>
> Sincerely,
> Curtis Gedak

It seems the hardware deinterlacers are not working with the latest
version of Raspbian. I tried Line Double (HW) and it is not too bad with
HD but is terrible with SD. I think that is falling back to the default
"One Field". Testing with One Field gives the same results. It seems the
best deinterlacer in this setup  is Kernel or Linear Blend. They both
work reasonably well. There is an increase in CPU usage but the system
seems to handle it.

Peter