[mythtv-users] Nvidia drop support for more 'legacy' GPUs

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 19:45:41 UTC 2017

Hoi Larry,

> On 11/25/2014 06:05 PM, Tony Gould wrote:
>> this doesn't sound great. What does it mean for in terms of what I can or can't
>> do? My main machine has ubuntu 12.04 with latest mythbuntu fixes/0.27 and
>> onboard GeForce 8200. I also have an old asus pundit ph2 running debian wheezy
>> with a GeForce 6150 (I was hoping to try some simple changes to the latest
>> source code on this machine).
>>
>> Am I prevented in upgrading my o/s? Or in trying out some features of mythtv?
>> Thanks if anyone can explain -- it's not obvious to me why it's so bad.
>> (Ironically I always bought NVidia hardware because I thought it was
>> linux-friendly).

> I have a GeForce 7025 for which support was dropped several years ago. All that
> means for me is that my driver remains at version 304.131. For this card nouveau
> has never worked, thus I have to use the NVidia driver.

> As I cannot download a package for my hardware from any repos available for my
> distro (openSUSE 42.2), I have to recompile the driver every time my kernel gets
> updated. You will likely need to do the same for whatever driver version NVidia
> has called EOL for the 8200. If you end up with a kernel with API changes that
> require patches to the driver, they are generally available someplace on the
> Web, and not difficult to install. For my kernel (4.4.59), no patches are required.

> NVidia hardware has been generally friendly for Linux; however, recent support
> for Intel graphics hardware using driver i915 is now better. The main reason is
> that Intel is participating in i915 development, whereas NVidia refuses to help
> in development of nouveau.

> Losing support for your legacy hardware is not ideal, but it is not the end of
> the world.

> Larry

Small correction: You are stuck at version 304.xxx. Still occasional
updates will come to keep it working with newer kernel or X versions.
Only for the real old legacy version they stopped with that. For all
legacy version they however will not add new or updated features like
a new opengl version.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven