[mythtv-users] LiveTV attempts to tune unavailable channel when entering LiveTV

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 06:47:23 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 9:02 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 04/18/2017 11:14 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 19:18:53 -0700, you wrote:
>>> So I've got an interesting situation that I haven't quite been able to
>>> figure out.
>>>
>>> My parents system has two HDPVR connected to cable boxes, and an
>>> HDHomeRun connected to an antenna. So both have different channel
>>> sources.
>>>
>>> I have the system set up so that when selecting Live TV the backend
>>> will first try the HDPVR since they have more channels available to
>>> them, then fall back to the HDHR if both are recording.
>>>
>>> However, sometimes when both HDPVR are recording the backend will try
>>> to enter live tv on the HDHR on a channel that is not in the source
>>> channel lineup for the HDHR, which causes live tv to fail. My mom is
>>> not a fan of that.
>>>
>>> I used to be able to go into the cardinput table and change the start
>>> channel number to one the HDHR can tune and that would fix the issue.
>>>
>>> Since I recently upgraded their setup to 0.28 I'd like to see if I
>>> can't resolve the issue of the backend trying a channel that source
>>> can't use and having to do some SQL intervention to fix it. If anyone
>>> has figured out how and why to fix it?
>>>
>>> I also now need to see how to fix the startchan issue in 0.28...
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>
>> You can still change the startchan with SQL - it is now a column in
>> the capturecard table.  And you can go to the Guide and use M > Watch
>> This Channel to avoid having to use the SQL fix.  But it would be nice
>> to have a real fix in the code as this is a very longstanding problem.
>>

> Do you have different sources set up in MythTV for the different types of
> tuner? Each type of tuner should have a different source and a lineup with
> the appropriate channels for that tuner type. Then it will not try to tune a
> channel that cannot be received on a particular tuner. This setup works
> well, I had it for a couple of years.
>
> If it is trying to tune a channel on a tuner where the source for that tuner
> does not have the channel, that is a bug and we should look into it.
>
> Peter

Stephen: I noticed the database change after sending the email and
poking around some more. I like the idea of going to the Guide and
using M > Watch!

Peter: Yes, both tuners have separate lineups that only contain
channels they are able to tune, but the backend still tries to get the
HDHR to tune a channel in the HDPVR lineup that is not in the HDHR
lineup.

and I'll cross my fingers this gets resolved!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!