[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi Mythfrontend 1080i Poor Playback with Recent Raspbian OS Image

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 19:37:23 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-10 12:55 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 04/10/2017 01:51 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
>>
>> My video playback is unsatisfactory when using a recent Raspbian OS
>> image (2017-03-02).  More specifically I see jaggy lines when playing
>> interlaced content such as North American ATSC 1080i recorded
>> television.  The issue appears to be poor handling of interlaced
>> content.
>>
> Have you tried some of the alternative deinterlacers? In the Video
> Playback setup there are some 10 deinterlacers available for selection.
> The default one for OpenMax is Advanced(HW), but maybe there is another
> one that will work better in this case.
>
> Peter

Thank you for the suggestion Peter.

Following are my test results from trying some different deinterlacers
with with Raspbian OS (2017-03-02).

I have tried the following playback profiles with MythTV Light 0.28:

Playback Profile       Deinterlacer       1080i Playback Result
--------------------   ----------------   -------------------------
OpenMAX High Quality   Advanced (HW)      Jaggy lines
OpenMAX Normal         Advanced (HW)      Jaggy lines
High Quality           Linear Blend       Slow and jerky w/tearing
Normal                 Linear Blend       Slow and jerky w/tearing
OpenMAX Normal [1]     Fast (HW)          Jaggy lines
OpenMAX Normal [1]     Line double (HW)   Good smooth playback

[1] Copy of OpenMAX Normal with Primary and Fallback deinterlacer
    changed to same setting.

It appears that the "Line double (HW)" deinterlacer works well with
Raspbian OS (2017-03-02), at least on my installation.

Do you have any ideas why the default profile deinterlacer settings of
"Advanced (HW)" or "Fast (HW)" do not work well with Raspbian
2017-03-02, but do work well with Raspbian 2016-02-09?

Curtis