[mythtv-users] Ortek VRC-1100 IR receiver on Gentoo

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 08:49:12 UTC 2017

On 06/04/17 06:59, Karl Newman wrote:

> Pretty sure you have to use the remote that came with it. It's a matched
> set, not a generic MCE-type receiver (and I'm not even sure if MCE is
> generic).

Sort of. The the MCE de-facto "standard" defines the protocol and some
mappings, but a lot of hw out there emulates it more or less wrong.
Still, a MCE-compatible receiver should be possible to use with quite a
few remotes (that is not to say that the kernel decoding can handle it).

If the kernel creates a /dev/lirc0 device when plugging in the USB
dongle, you might have a chance doing the complete LIRC configuration,
starting with mode2 and probably irrecord.

My understanding is that the kernel decoding works great when it works,
but is not that easy to customize when it doesn't. Could be wrong, for sure.

Cheers!

--alec