[mythtv-users] Ortek VRC-1100 IR receiver on Gentoo

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 5 17:08:19 UTC 2017

On 04/05/2017 12:45 PM, mythtv wrote:
> Can anyone assist me with getting the Ortek VRC-1100 working on
> Gentoo.  Everything I read seems to be Ubuntu related with
> hardware.conf files and what not.  Gentoo doesn't have that. I've seen
> some info on using devinput but I don't think I have my kernel, my
> udev rules, and other stuff configured correctly.  irw does nothing
> and mode2 says it doesn't work with this hardware yet.  Please help.
> Thanks!

I think you are over-complicating matters. It emulates a keyboard, so
just plug it in and it works. I have 5 of these on Ubuntu and raspbian
systems. They are detected as a keyboard by the system. If that is not
happening then check logs to see what the error is. If you run lsusb you
should see this

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05a4:9881 Ortek Technology, Inc. IR receiver
[VRC-1100 Vista MCE Remote Control]

There are instructions in the wiki for making it work with lirc, but
that seems rather a waste of time. It works fine without.

Peter