[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 3 WiFi

Jon Heizer jheizer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 19:58:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>
wrote:

> Douglas Sargent <dbsargent at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > make it simple, use powerline. TP makes some cheap units
>
> Yes, use powerline unless you have xDSL for your internet, or there are
> any neighbours within 1/4 mile, or you use a radio or TV.
>
> Yes that's sarcasm. PLT is just so wrong on for so many reasons - mainly
> that by design it turns your house wiring into a transmitter sprays huge
> amounts of interference over a wide area and a wide frequency range. The
> only way they get allowed as legal is to deliberately test them in a mode
> that's barely one step up from "switched off".
>
> http://www.ban-plt.org.uk

I built a digital picture frame out of a pi3 and all I can say after a few
nights research is some people have issues with it being slow, dropped
packets, crazy ping times, etc, and others it is fine.  I couldn't even
pull a 3-5MB picture to it every 20 seconds without it falling behind.
People say its built in antenna is tiny and horrible and to just use an
external dongle anyway.  In my case I ended up dynamically resizing the
pictures before pulling them over the network.  Sad that it was required,
but it was my work around.

Jon