[mythtv-users] Duplicate detection

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:43:21 UTC 2016

Hoi Michael,

> On 09/20/2016 11:51 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Michael,
>>
>> Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 5:38:45 PM, you wrote:

>>> Don't get me started on the auto-generated-by-mythfilldatabase "series
>>> IDs" and "program IDs" as they're not actually series/program IDs.  They
>>> assume that any show with a given title is the same show.  Therefore
>>> Battlestar Galactica is the same as Battlestar Galactica and season 1,
>>> episode 1 is always season 1, episode 1, regardless of whether its
>>> subtitle is "Saga of a Star World (1)" or "33":
>>> http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=71173&seasonid=1786&id=37476&lid=7
>>> http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=73545&seasonid=5951&id=117849&lid=7
>>> By definition, a series ID knows the difference between the 1978 and
>>> 2003 series called Battlestar Galactica and a program ID (which contains
>>> the embedded series ID) would, therefore, also know the difference.
>>> Therefore, (IMHO,) XMLTV users should only ever get a program ID when
>>> the data specifies an episode-num element with the system attribute of
>>> dd_progid.
>>> IMHO the entire bit of code that auto-generates those program IDs should
>>> be removed.  If I were more active with MythTV coding right now, I'd
>>> probably champion the removal of that code.  If anyone wants to create a
>>> patch (so someone else might consider it), it's not difficult to do.
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/575087#575087
>>> (though, now, line 553).
>> Interesting, so what fieldname should I use in xmltv to supply a
>> seriesid or programid, as the xmltv.dtd does not define any?
>>

> If you have a real program ID, you'd use:

> <episode-num system="dd_progid">your progam id value, possibly with
> authority</episode-num>

> and note that you can specify an episode-num for both systems, dd_progid
> and xmltv_ns, for each program.

> I don't think we have a means of specifying the series ID with the XMLTV
> parser, currently.  I know Gary Burhmaster was doing some patches to
> improve the XMLTV parser to allow more data, but I'm not sure if he
> included a patch for specifying series ID (let alone if the XMLTV spec
> even allows a place to store it).

> Mike

Thanks, I was already trying to make sense of the code (I do not
really know C) and I came upon that dd_progid. It already is an
extension to the xmltv.dtd as that only knows xmltv_ns and onscreen.
I also see themoviedb.org and thetvdb.com in the code, so an inetref
can be added too.
But to be clear, multiple episode-num tags can be added??

I also in the code see it checking whether `uniqueid` is empty prior
to starting to create a programid, but I do not see it retrieving it
from anywhere.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven