[mythtv-users] Duplicate detection

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:36:22 UTC 2016

On 20/09/16 17:14, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> IIUC this partitions duplicate matching, such that duplicates would be
>> found for repeats on channels whose metadata comes from the same source,
>> but still not for repeats that span listings data sources. In order to
>> achieve that I believe (but do correct me if I'm wrong) that I need to
>> continue erasing the programids.
>
> No, it means the program ID is used for dup matching when both programs
> contain program IDs from the same authority and the rule-specified
> duplicate-matching method is used otherwise.

Yes, exactly. We're on the same page. I said what I said because the
rule-specified method doesn't work since it disregards empty subtitles,
rather than accepting an empty subtitle as something that should be
matched with another empty subtitle.

I had another thought: a duplicate-matching method based on the inetref
field. This wouldn't find defects until the metadata has been retrieved,
of course, and it relies on there being a history of inetrefs employing
the current format (i.e. not just the number but also the tmdb3.py_ or
ttvdb.py_ prefix). Furthermore, it breaks if a new metadata source is
introduced in the future.

The latter weakness could be addressed by updating the inetref in
oldrecorded after the fact.

Just a thought - this would require a code change. Not sure I'm up to
that but once I upgrade to 0.28 I could give it a go.

I could test-drive the concept by a one-time:

update oldrecorded set subtitle=inetref where length(subtitle)=0;

and a daily

update program set subtitle=inetref where length(subtitle)=0;

I can then continue to use the subtitle duplicate-matching method; it'll
just be ugly in the user interface.

Another possibility is to regard the special treatment of empty
subtitles as a bug, and to remove that special treatment. This might
cause a regression for people who rely on that (probably long-standing)
behaviour though.

Jan