[mythtv-users] Duplicate detection

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 20 16:26:37 UTC 2016

On 09/20/2016 11:51 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Michael,
>
> Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 5:38:45 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 09/20/2016 10:35 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> A question. My progids get generated by MythTV and they do not contain
>>> such an autority. I'm wondering if that authority is derived from the
>>> by the xmltv standard advised extension on xmltvids? I do not use
>>> those extension but I could enable them.
>>>
>> Don't get me started on the auto-generated-by-mythfilldatabase "series
>> IDs" and "program IDs" as they're not actually series/program IDs.  They
>> assume that any show with a given title is the same show.  Therefore
>> Battlestar Galactica is the same as Battlestar Galactica and season 1,
>> episode 1 is always season 1, episode 1, regardless of whether its
>> subtitle is "Saga of a Star World (1)" or "33":
>> http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=71173&seasonid=1786&id=37476&lid=7
>> http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=73545&seasonid=5951&id=117849&lid=7
>> By definition, a series ID knows the difference between the 1978 and
>> 2003 series called Battlestar Galactica and a program ID (which contains
>> the embedded series ID) would, therefore, also know the difference.
>> Therefore, (IMHO,) XMLTV users should only ever get a program ID when
>> the data specifies an episode-num element with the system attribute of
>> dd_progid.
>> IMHO the entire bit of code that auto-generates those program IDs should
>> be removed.  If I were more active with MythTV coding right now, I'd
>> probably champion the removal of that code.  If anyone wants to create a
>> patch (so someone else might consider it), it's not difficult to do.
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/575087#575087
>> (though, now, line 553).
> Interesting, so what fieldname should I use in xmltv to supply a
> seriesid or programid, as the xmltv.dtd does not define any?

If you have a real program ID, you'd use:

<episode-num system="dd_progid">your progam id value, possibly with
authority</episode-num>

and note that you can specify an episode-num for both systems, dd_progid
and xmltv_ns, for each program.

I don't think we have a means of specifying the series ID with the XMLTV
parser, currently.  I know Gary Burhmaster was doing some patches to
improve the XMLTV parser to allow more data, but I'm not sure if he
included a patch for specifying series ID (let alone if the XMLTV spec
even allows a place to store it).

Mike